Who Offers Spinal Decompression Therapy Near Villa Rica, GA?
Cornerstone Chiropractic in Hiram, GA, might be able to help you when you have pain and swelling in your neck and back. If you have had no luck finding relief with medication or bedrest, check with our Chiropractors at Cornerstone before undergoing any radical surgical procedures. We may have the relief you’ve been waiting for at an affordable rate, with no recovery time required.
What Is Spinal Decompression Therapy?
A spinal decompression treatment (SDT) relieves pressure on the spinal cord or a compromised nerve in the spinal column. Your Chiropractor uses this treatment to align the spinal column with precise movements. They can make minor adjustments to your body’s natural alignment to move it into a less painful position with the help of a computerized traction machine. This treatment aims to improve your body alignment with as little intervention as possible.
What Happens During Spinal Decompression Therapy?
During the treatment, your provider will have you lie down on a “traction table” The lower half of your body will be secured to the table at your hips, with a soft harness, for safety and stabilization. The upper half will freely rest on the table. Once you are comfortable and secured to the machine, your Chiropractor will begin programming the device based on their preliminary scans and exam findings. After that, it’s up to the machine to “do its thing,” You will need to alert your provider to any discomfort so they can adjust accordingly, but this is usually a very pain-free treatment.
After the session, you likely won’t feel pain or discomfort from the procedure. However, you will need follow-up sessions to continue the realignment process. Your Chiropractor may take routine scans to check your progress and let you know where you stand and if the treatment is succeeding.
Who Is A Good Candidate For Spinal Decompression Therapy?
Spinal Decompression is about helping your body get to a better-relaxed state and alleviate symptoms while you heal. There are so many common conditions that SDT can help with. Some of the most common ones we see in Villa Rica, GA, are:
- Disc Bulge, Protrusion, and Herniation: Spinal column pressure can relay itself in many different ways, but the most common is to move everything into an uncomfortable position to accommodate the swelling. Releasing that tension (or pressure) can allow for more natural motion, a release of fluid build-up, and let the components of your spinal column work cohesively.
- Sciatica: If pressure or inflammation affects your Sciatic Nerve, SDT could help you reposition your posture and relieve stress in the affected area.
- Spinal Stenosis: SDT can help you regain stability and flexibility in your spinal column. In addition to exercise, this therapy could help you strengthen your core and carry better posture.
Because the treatment is non-invasive, you will not likely suffer side effects. However, spinal decompression therapy may not be the right treatment if there are underlying conditions. Your provider will ask you to come for a consultation, where you will be given an exam and x-rays. Below are some of the conditions that are not advised to use SDT.
- You are pregnant: Your provider will likely advise against Spinal Decompression Therapy while you are expecting. You may experience pain or more serious complications if you put pressure on your abdomen while pregnant.
- You have Spinal Instability: Degenerative bone or spinal conditions could put you at greater risk for injury or recurrence if you participate in this therapy. Your Chiropractor can help you determine if there are potential risks involved in your particular case.
- You just had surgery: If you’ve recently undergone spinal or abdominal surgery, this procedure could affect the way you heal and potentially lead to injuries. But, again, ask your provider to advise you on the best possible option to help you get better. They are there to help look out for your well-being.
- Broken bones or other spinal issues: Patients with degenerative bone diseases, implants, an aneurysm may not choose SDT because of the inherent risk of making things worse. X-rays and other scans may determine whether a more suitable treatment option is available.
How Long Could It Take For Spinal Decompression To Work?
Spinal Decompression Therapy sessions are simple and painless. You could quickly go to a session in the middle of the week and return to your regular routine without consequence, but why not take the afternoon off? Each session lasts 30 minutes to one hour, the average one lasting about 45 minutes.
You may see results as soon as the first session, but repeat visits are often recommended and sometimes required to treat and eliminate your symptoms. Most patients begin noticing significant symptom relief after 3-4 weeks.
How Can Spinal Decompression Therapy Help Me?
SDT Improves Posture and Reduces Pain Levels
When sitting in an unnatural position or performing repetitive motions, pinched nerves, slipped discs, and general inflammation can lead to pain in your neck, back, and extremities. Spinal Decompression could work to your benefit here. It slowly and gently moves your body into the correct position to reduce the pain and hopefully remedy the painful issue.
This Treatment Doesn’t Require Recovery Time
Since this procedure is non-surgical, there are no wounds to heal, no stitches or staples, and no need for pain medication. After this procedure, all you will need is possibly some time to rest. With this therapy, you can go back to work, play with your kids, and live your life without waiting for a long recovery.
Improved Mental & Physical Health
If you suffer from a condition that limits your favorite activities or time with your loved ones, it could lead to severe anxiety and depression. Unfortunately, many patients undergoing SDT have started their journey this way. After some time to allow the treatment to work, most of them have returned to everyday life. Because they no longer have to hold themselves back, they live a happier, healthier lifestyle.
If you live in Villa Rica, GA, and are wondering if Spinal Decompression Therapy is the proper treatment, contact our highly-trained providers at Cornerstone Chiropractic in Hiram. We can schedule your initial scans and consultation to develop a plan that could heal your mind and body.